Thursday, January 23, 2014

Recipe - Baked Crab Rangoon Pizza

I seem to have a love-hate relationship with cooking. I'll spend a few weeks trying lots of recipes and thoroughly enjoying the time in the kitchen. Then I'll get sick of it and live on frozen/easy food for awhile. Then lather.rinse.repeat the whole cycle :-)

I guess I'm amping up for another round of cooking because this past weekend I tried out a recipe I found on Pillsbury's website for Baked Crab Rangoon Pizza. It was tasty and there's only a couple tweaks I'd make in future preparations. The original recipe can be found here.

I always like to follow the original recipe as close as I can the first time I fix it. That seems to make it easier to keep track of any tweaks I'd like to make. Of course, this is providing the first time around turns out tasty enough to warrant making a second time!

I made the following tweaks/substitutions :

  • I used imitation crab meat (8 oz.), not real. I always have some in the fridge and never have canned crab meat in the cabinet. 
  • I skipped the cornmeal step.
  • I used light cream cheese and light mayo.

I would keep those same tweaks and add the following changes the next time I make this pizza:

  • Increase the cream cheese a bit...maybe go from 4 oz. to 6 oz. The topping mixture seemed a bit skimpy when I was spreading it to the edges of the pizza. Maybe add an additional tablespoon or so of mayo as well.
  • Decrease the green pepper to 1/4 cup and increase the green onions.
  • Finely, finely, finely chop the green pepper.
  • Mix it up ahead of time and let it set in the fridge so the flavors can develop.
I fixed this as a main dish, but I think it would be great cut up in small squares and served as an appetizer too!

Finally, here's a picture of the finished dish.Yum Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment